Monday, July 1, 2013

A Window into my ISTE 2013 Experience


As my friend Andrew Thomasson pointed out, I am a copious note-taker. I took several pages of notes at ISTE 2013 in Google Drive. My purpose of the notes was twofold: 1) make direct applications of what I learned at the conference with my everyday work and 2) share the learning with others. I was #NotAtISTE but #WishingIWas for the past few years, and each summer I've been excited and grateful to participate in the ISTE conference experience via Twitter. Educators are the greatest at not keeping their learning to themselves. (That's our job, right?) Since I finally had the opportunity to get to the conference, I wanted to share every bit of the experience I possibly could with others who weren't (and were) there. I found that Twitter allowed me to be in several sessions at once. Thanks to all of you who shared your slides and notes or tweeted ideas from sessions and conversations. My ISTE 2013 experience was so much richer because of you. If you'd like to take a look at my copious notes to see if there are any gems of information that may be useful to you, you can view them here. Feel free to save them to your Drive or never ever look at them again. I'm good either way.

Along with most other ISTE 2013 attendees, I tweeted quite a bit. Most of my tweets were not my original ideas, but ideas shared by presenters during sessions or friends during informal conversations. In order to capture the essence of a few of the ideas from ISTE 2013 that struck me the most, I decided to create a visual representation of a few of my #iste13 tweets using Haiku Deck. (In case you haven't heard, I love how simple it is to create a beautiful slideshow, focused on visuals rather than text, with the Haiku Deck app, but that's another post.) Below is attribution for the originators of the ideas shared in my tweets, ordered by slide.


Slides 1 - 8: Will Richardson (During his session, I tweeted that Will is right about everything. His session was profound for me, hence the majority of the slides in my deck originated in his session. You can view slides from his session here.)

Slide 9: Me (One morning as I was walking into the convention center, I overheard two ladies having a conversation full of buzz words from the conference, like gamification. I had a sudden fear that thousands of educators would go home from ISTE and completely redesign their classrooms and teaching practices based on a catchy idea they heard during a keynote or session. If you're considering that, please, please put thoughtful consideration into changes before making them.)

Slide 10: Sam Patterson

Slide 11: Steven Anderson and Kyle Pace

Slides 12 & 13: Adam Bellow

Slide 14: Me




No comments:

Post a Comment